Have you ever heard of toxicodendron or urushiol? If you have, you’ve probably had an unpleasant experience with poison ivy, poison oak, or poison sumac. Toxicodendron is the scientific name for these plants, and urushiol is the substance that they excrete, which can be extremely irritating to most people’s skin.

If you have these types of plants on your property, it’s a good idea to remove them. However, since they can cause a nasty rash or blister on your skin, you’ll want to take great care in removing them. Many people prefer to spray a weed-killing product on them first to kill them, but it’s important to note that the urushiol from these plants can still exist on a dead plant for quite some time. For that reason, it’s important to wear the proper PPE when handling these plants, and never, ever burn them in a fire. Once you’re finished, wash your clothes immediately.

error: Content is protected !!

WHAT EVERY HOMEBUYER IN WISCONSIN SHOULD KNOW

Buying a home is a big step in life - but it can also be a risky one if you don't know certain things.

That is why we have our homebuyer e-book that covers important information you need to know - from the perspective of a home inspector.

Simply enter your email below and get your free copy.

You have Successfully Subscribed!